Bowers & Wilkins PM1 – exclusive interview with designer Morten Warren

To celebrate the launch of the Bowers & Wilkins PM1 we interviewed Morten Warren, the man behind the industrial design of this incredibly refined compact loudspeaker.

Morten Warren is the founder of Native, one of the world’s most revered industrial design agencies. He is the man behind the look of numerous Bowers & Wilkins products, including the 800 Series Diamond and Zeppelin Air iPod speaker. He was also intimately involved with the design of the new PM1 loudspeaker.

• Bartek Zawadzki says:

Looks very nice!

• Tomek Musiał says:

Hope they sounds as good as they looks ;-)

• Rajkumar Remanan says:

Excellent design!

• Martin Butler says:

They didn’t say what the major differences are between this and their 805′s.

• Shawn Tran says:

I’m very excited. I’ve owned many B&W products and I’m never disappointed. The craftsmanship and aesthetics are above par! Another great addition to the family.

• Bharat Bedi says:

Absolutely beautiful. Can’t wait for the day when I own a pair.

• 4ormula1 says:

Beautifully designed and so pleasing to the eyes! If these sound as good as they look, it may be time for me to finally get another pair of Bowers & Wilkins loudspeakers. The last great pair I had were the CDM1SE’s, here’s hoping!

• Hiro Ikezi says:

What is the price of this speaker?

• Henry Gerow says:

I would like to hear these against my CDM 1NT’s, curious to see how the technology has improved.

• Bowers & Wilkins says:

Hi Hiro

The speakers are £1995 for the pair.

Kind regards
    Bowers & Wilkins

• Shaun says:

Hi Martin

There are lots of differences between the PM1 and the 805 Diamond, most notable of which is the Carbon Braced Tweeter used here as opposed to the diamond tweeter used on the 805. There are also very fundamental differences in terms of the size of the loudspeakers – the PM1 is considerably smaller than the 805

You can find out more information on the PM1 here:

Shaun

• Brian says:

Re-Pm-1
    Noticeable cabinet design change , does it reflect
    in audio reflection .
    Currently own CDM-1 NT , interested in
    comparison .

• Laurent says:

Heard it already in Lyon…wonderfull sound and hawesome object!

• Bartek says:

Which amplifier would be suitable for it? Some of Rotel’s amps perhaps?

• Stephen Wheatley says:

Hi Bartek,

You could consider a pre-amplifier & power amplifier combination such as the Rotel RC-1580 pre-amp together with the RB-1582 power amplifier which will provide a musically engaging performance.

Hope this helps,
    Stephen Wheatley
    B&W Group

• Bartek says:

I’m also thinking about arcam a38 which I heard make a good pair with B&W speakers. Would that be ok for them?
    I will try it before but just wondering if they are matching on the power level (105wpc continuous power output (8ohms, both channels driven))
    I’m owning B&W mm-1 pc speakers and I’m really amazed by their performance and sound.
    I would like to hear also a bit more power in a second room and I want to stay with B&W speakers.